Totally

Totally

Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Evolution of Bootleggers LTD


At the beginning of 2015, I was watching an awards show on television.  There was a musical performance by ? and a woman was sitting in a chair playing bongo type drums.  What caught my eye was what she was wearing around her ankle on top of her boot.  It looked like some sort of colorful accessory.  With her simple red button-down shirt and jeans, the thing on her ankle was a perfect fashion complement.

Because this woman was not the lead in the performance, they never zoomed in on her, let alone on her ankle.  I searched the internet for a recording of the performance in the hopes that I might be able to somehow zoom in on it myself.  I did find a recording but I was not able to figure out how to get a non-fuzzy, zoomed in, still image.

I posted the video I found on Facebook, and a friend informed me that it was not a fashion accessory on her ankle, but a percussion instrument.  Still, the image stuck with me.  (Note: Do not use Facebook to archive things you want to save.  I have scrolled through a year of posts, and cannot find the video.)

The first photo you see in the image above is most likely the type of thing the woman in that video was wearing.  I still liked the look of them, but was not sure if I wanted to be heard walking around.  I might feel kinda like a reindeer.

Still, the thought of something colorful tied around the ankle of one of your boots stuck with me.

That brought back the memory of the Saami boots we used to carry at a shop I worked at in town many years ago.  Searching the internet, I found a picture of those boots from an Etsy seller.  They are in the second photo you see listed above.

Since then, I have seen really neat boots with textile trims.  (The nice ones are usually quite expensive.)  This trims are sewn right onto the boot.

Then, I thought about the idea of making that trim interchangeable.  Instead of having a different pair embellished boots to coordinate with each outfit, you could simply wear the same pair of boots and change the trim.  At that point, I set off trying to figure out how they could be made.

Now, after close to a year of trying different options for supplies and construction, the last photo is one of the options I came up with.

If you are interested in any of the photos above, here are the links:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/150438444/ethnic-tribal-beaded-with-bells-ankle?ref=shop_home_active_11

http://www.etsy.com/listing/252610378/norwegian-kids-boots-scandinavian?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=saami%20boots&ref=sr_gallery_11

http://www.etsy.com/listing/268766923/edelweis-bootlegger-textile-boot-anklet?ref=shop_home_active_19

No comments:

Post a Comment